It’s April, which besides all the pranks going on, it’s the start of the Melbourne International Flower & Garden Show and the Melbourne International Comedy Festival. What’s with putting International in every festival and show? The only thing I know about the Flower show is that I noticed the parking lot underneath was full and loads of people bustling around at 9AM this morning. As for the comedy…
This year’s international headliner is Janeane Garofalo, in which I haven’t heard anything from her in about 10 years. All of her shows have sold out so apparently she is appealing to an audience.
- No Daniel Kitson on the lineup this year is a bit disappointing.
- Ross Noble doesn’t seem to be in this year’s festival either.
- Steven K. Amos seems like a good alternative English pick to Kitson and Noble.
- Dylan Moran is back in the festival after missing last year’s festival.
- Reginald D. Hunter, a man brave enough to appear on QI without sounding stupid, could be worth seeing as well.
- Former lawyer and convict Andrew Fraser’s show could be interesting although I doubt that funny.
- Puppetry of the Penis, a show that never ceases to go away.
- A meal and a show with the Faulty Towers dining experience could be good value.
- Absolutely Silly Old Buggers seems to be a show about 4 old people complaining.
It’s hard to make heads or tail of which shows are good. The Age has a small summary of interesting shows but as they are one of the sponsors, I can’t see them saying any of those shows are crap.
April 1- April 5, Carlton Gardens
April 1-April 26